Clear Skies Ranch is offering FREE Home Energy Efficiency Workshops for all members of the Sober Living Coalition.
Each week we will be sharing our favorite energy saving tips with you. Please keep checking back here for more ideas for your household.
The beginning of a brighter future
This week we are focusing on the largest portion of your energy bill. With around half of your energy bill being spent on your heating and cooling, we have some tips for you to reduce your bills by about 30%.
Air Conditioning and Heating Tips
- Heating and cooling your home uses more energy and costs more money than any other system in your home—typically making up about 48% of your utility bill.
- By combining proper equipment maintenance and upgrades with recommended insulation, air sealing, and thermostat settings, you can save about 30% on your energy bill while reducing environmental emmissions.
- Install a programmable thermostat as they can save you as much as 10% a year on heating and cooling by simply turning your thermostat back 7o -10oF for 8 hours a day.
- Set your thermostat in winter to 68o and 78o in summer. Turn off when not at home. Avoid setting your thermostat at a colder setting than normal when you turn on your air conditioner.
- Avoid placing appliances that give off heat such as lamps or TVs near a thermostat.
- Clear or replace your heater and A/C Filters and condensing coils every month to keep it running more efficiently
- Consider installing a whole-house fan to ventilate trapped heat by pulling cool air through the house and exhausting warm air through the attic.
- Install and use ceiling fans for comfort cooling.